Thousands of books at Php 20 each? Yes. Believe it.
Thousands of books being sold in a warehouse setting can be an overdose for book lovers. It’s not a rainbows-and-butterflies experience like when you get to an air conditioned bookstore at a mall. But am sure any book lover won’t mind.
I got the information from a private message from my brother and his wife. Ear-notched the date but was not able to drop by the first day because of the heavy rain downpour. But when I found out how jam-packed it was the first day, I was happy to drop by with my friends very early the second day instead.
Warehouse opens at 9AM. We got there at 915A and noticed that most parking spots were already taken and the crowd is starting to build up.
As soon as you get in, you feel the high. Book lovers, you know what am talking about!
Books of different kinds everywhere. It does look that the staff tries to arrange them according to genre but with the setting and the number of people visiting, it is impossible to organize these books. They made it easier for Moms and kids though, as they placed all children’s books on the tables in the middle. There are tons of children’s books!
Some tips I can give you to make the most out of this trip are:
1. Bring an eco bag. Some brought boxes. They do sell cloth bags for Php10.
2. Drop by early especially if you need a parking space.
3. It can get really crowded and there is not enough ventilation so wear comfortable clothes. We only stayed for an hour and it was already crowded when we left. But hey, it’s worth it!
4. Bring wet tissue or alcohol. Your hands will be dirty after because of the dust. If you are allergic to dust and can’t stop yourself from going, wear a face mask.
5. The warehouse is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get. Be open to possibilities. Do not restrict yourself to just one genre of reading. Go around find whatever.
5. Once may not be enough. Once the books become too heavy for you to carry around while looking for more, tendency is for you to go to the cashier and pay. Well, I did. Then I left it there for one more round. I came back with this addition. To those who know me, you understand why this is a treasure.
And yeah, I will definitely come back some other time for more.
6. Be polite. It can get crowded and hot so everyone may need an extra string of patience. Make sure you bring yours.
7. Lastly, have fun. The sight alone was already an experience for me.
What can you find? Well, there’s a wide array of genre. You can’t even distinguish where one genre begins and where another ends. It’s like an ocean of books. But to give you an idea, let me share with you what my friends and I got.
This is the kind of place you would want to see the youth lining up for. It was nice to see students discussing which books to take home. Friends talking about favorites. Moms explaining things to their kids. Families searching good books together. A mom with her son (I assumed, she called her Jake anak) on the phone as she reads titles to him. Individuals reading silently. Kids reading rhymes aloud. It was a sight to see. The future looks bright!
The warehouse will run until August 31st. They are open everyday from 9A to 5PM except on August 3rd, 10th, 17th, and 24th. It is located at 643 Mercedes Avenue, Brgy. San Miguel, Pasig City. They have also given directions and instructions via their page. See this link.
Hope you enjoy your visit as much as I did. Am still looking forward to coming back. For now, am happy with what I got – 13 books (some of which I will give to my niece and my friends) for a little over than Php260 (USD5.70). Last year, they sold books for Php10 each. Php 20 is still a good deal, I tell you! All the effort? Worth it!
Thank you, Books for Less!